Sunday, September 21, 2008

Corporate Cup 10K

So, last week was hit or miss for workouts. I spent Wed-Sat in Lincoln for a Child Passenger Safety Class (who knew there was so much to learn about car seats). I stayed with my parents and had a really nice time. My mom and dad are wonderful and as my mother-in-law would say, "home is where your mom is."

One note of kudos to my momma, she is now a published poet which is very, very cool.

Anywho, like I said, workouts were hit or miss. I got in a few runs and an ok swim and that left me to do my longest run to date on Sunday. I had registered for the Corporate Cup through work several weeks ago. This is a good sized race in downtown Omaha where it is fairly flat. Thousands of people run or walk the 10K or the 2 mile. It takes forever to get over the starting line. You get the idea.

I decided to incorporate the 10K into my long run. I got up early and got myself organized which was somewhat of a challenge this morning. I ran the 5-ish miles to the race through the ghetto. It was pretty quiet and a very decent "commute" with some consistent hills. I then checked in with my organization and headed to the starting line (or as close as I was going to get). You definitely see some very strange things at races this size. For instance, around mile 5 there was some guy sitting by himself on the corner playing his clarinet. Really, the clarinet? How bizarre. He was just rocking out by himself with his favorite woodwind. There were also a few lone cheerleaders and several of the Omaha Beef (?) players. Maybe some sort of indoor football team? I don't really even know.

Anywho, finished up the race, grabbed a bottle of water and half a nutrigrain bar and headed out to run home. I ran back a different route which ended up being a bit of a pain with the traffic lights and pulled into my driveway right on time. I grabbed some water and two little doggies and headed back out for the last 4 miles. I learned that you should not run miles 17-20 of your long run with two Brittanys with fresh legs. Ouch. Anywho, we got through it and then I sat in an ice bath for about 10 minutes. I love to cold soak and would recomend it to anyone.

I then did a track workout on Tuesday. The actual workout was 3x1 mile repeats. My feet and legs were too beat up for this but I did 1 mile warm up, and then 2x 20, 40, 60, 80, 100 yds on the football field barefoot. I then did all of that again and warmed down with 3/4 of a mile. My arches are pretty tired but it felt good to run like a kid again. Aw, smile.

Other than that, just gearing up for the Omaha 1 mile run on Saturday. Should be a good time.

And for my brother, who requested more pics of the babies, here is one of Kona cuddling with her puppy.


Danielle in Iowa said...

Almost every attempt I have made to incorporate a race into a long run has been a miserable failure!

I'm not sure if my feet could handle barefoot running!

Jamie said...

I'm way to lazy to plan out long runs like that. Kudos to you KT! I'm just happy to have the motivation to get my butt out the door.

On that note, I do like that track workout. My local track/football field is exactly one mile away. I might have to go out and do some barefoot sprints tonight... :-)

blink said...

Where is the one mile? I won't do it but should be in to watch and hang. Please let me know and what time too. Thanks!