Sunday, May 3, 2009

Half Marathon RR

I ran the half marathon on Sunday in Lincoln with 6,499 of my closest friends. It was a beautiful morning and I was looking forward to trying to PR. Goal time: 1:55:00.

I got up at the crack of dawn and drove down to Lincoln with Mr KT in tow. He was quite a trooper for getting up so early to be a Sherpa.

We pulled in and I picked up my packet quick. No line when you push it so close. ;) Got my chip on my shoe and really, really could have used a stop at the bathroom. No such luck as the lines were a mile long. So, I lined up in my estimated pace group and was ready to get the party started. The gun went off at 7:00 am and startled me.

"Wind, check. - Antennae, check. - Nectar pack, check. - Wings, check. - Stinger, check. Scared out of my shorts, check."

Apparently, nerves were a bit of an issue and not helping the bathroom situation much. Anywho, my feet crossed the line about 4 minutes after the gun went off and I started the watch. I really ran fairly well. These are the splits that I got on my watch.

Miles 1 and 2 (missed first marker): 17:09:51 (approximately 8:34:55/mile)
Mile 3: 8:33:38
Mile 4: 8:36:13
Mile 5 and 6 (missed another marker): 16:42:45 (approximately 8:21/mile)
Mile 7: 8:32:21
Mile 8: 8:31:78
Mile 9: 8:37:45
Mile 10: 8:25:42
Mile 11: 8:39:87
Mile 12: 8:35:94
Mile 13 and a little: 9:25:42

overall place: 977/4812
division place: 85/654 (top 13%!!)
gender place: 313/3023 (top 10%)
time: 1:51:46
pace: 8:32
10 k: 52:53
gun time: 1:56:31

I saw a buddy at about 42 minutes and I saw my mom and dad at about the 10K point 10 minutes later. My dad got a sweet picture of my backside as I ran by. Ahahaha.

Not sure what happened on the last mile. I basically ran out of juice. I had a little breakfast about 5 am and that didn't sit all that well. I didn't feel bad but there were about 3 times where I considered throwing up but didn't. When I got finished I couldn't hardly drink any water. Then my mom was so nice and made breakfast for Mr KT and I. It looked yummy but I just couldn't get anything down hardly. I had a headache for most of the rest of the day and I really didn't eat anything normal until Monday night at dinner. I talked to Blink briefly about it and he had a few suggestions so hopefully that will help a bit. (Thanks Blink.)

So a couple of good things...
1. All races should put straws and lids on their cups because that rocks.

2. I met and exceeded my goal time and set a PR at 1:51:46

3. I realized how much I like having Mr. KT there and how much I missed my Koni running in front of me.

So, on to the next race. :)


SUB6 said...

Congratulations! Great PR!!! :)

Jamie, Adriane and Olivia said...

You killed your goal. That's awesome. Good work.

Jamie, Adriane and Olivia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Benson said...

Fantastic run there.
Hooray for your PR.

running too fast for dad to catch you on camera. That is awesome.

Jamie said...

Wow. Awesome race KT!

Just being able to stick to such a steady pace, with a small exception for the last mile, is a huge accomplishment in itself!

Rock S-T-A-R!